Should you become an aesthetic nurse?

Should you become an aesthetic nurse?
14th January 2016 Beth L. Swingler

Many nurses perform aesthetic procedures part-time as a (substantial) source of supplementary income. Beyond the obvious financial benefits however there are some factors that nurses should consider before starting a career in aesthetic medicine.

We compiled 6 of the biggest promises and perils to consider before and after training, including how to avoid risks — or even use them to your advantage.

 Aesthetic Nursing – Key facts

  • An estimated 4,000 nurses perform non-invasive cosmetic treatments in the UK alone (note: there is not yet an official register).
  • 90% of cosmetic procedures are non-invasive.
  • Nurses perform a huge 70% of non-invasive cosmetic treatments.

6 factors to consider

1. Revalidation

The NMC’s revalidation requirements of October 2015 require Nurses and Midwives to dedicate 35 hours to Continuing Professional Development (CPD). 

A CPD-accredited course in aesthetic medicine provides a lucrative source of hours, so capitalise on this:
make sure the course you are taking is CPD accredited.


2. Diversity of qualifications

There are a wide variety of aesthetics training courses. Many are aimed at different levels, and the lack of regulation means quality varies wildly. Choose carefully, taking into account the following facts:

(a) Medical information changes. Since you will be practicing independently, you will be responsible for staying up-to-date. Check whether your training academy offers continuing support and medical information post-qualification.

(b) The aesthetics industry is currently unregulated, but may well not stay this way in light of HEE’s latest qualification requirements (which we discuss in another article here), and the increasing popularity of this £3.5 billion industry.

Beware, a one-day course should only be a starting point for an aesthetic nurse. It is important to pass a more rigorous assessment that can later act as evidence of your competency.

You don’t want to have to pay to retrain. If you ground your training well with a HEE-compliant qualification, then the diversity of courses in the field can present opportunities for learning, and not expensive mistakes. Indeed, there are many ways to progress in aesthetic medicine – from cutting-edge dermatological insights to advanced practical techniques.


3. Face-to-face vs. remote prescribing

Nurses face being struck off if they bend NMC prescribing rules. We cannot press this enough: avoid remote prescribing.

Have (or become!) a qualified prescriber who can give face-to-face consultations before prescribing botulinum toxins to your patients.

You may consider taking the V300 Advanced Certificate in Independent Prescribing (offered by many UK universities). This course is recommended by the British Association of Cosmetic Nursing (BACN), and brings with it many benefits such as higher earning potential both inside and outside the NHS.

botox prescribing v300 aesthetic nurse

4. Location, location, location

Will you be performing treatments in your own home? Aesthetic nurses should practice in a clinical setting, says HEE.  A clinic allows you to deal effectively with complications and emergencies. Carefully consider where your practice will take place.

Don’t worry if you don’t have somewhere in mind yet – many clinics rent out rooms to aesthetic nurses.

Practicing in a clinic not only complies with health and safety recommendations and increase patient safety, but also exhibits your clinical professionalism to your patients.


5. Independence… or isolation?

Aesthetic nursing brings with it independence — financial and administrative. However, the absence of colleagues and supervision brings its own challenges:

“Being a medical aesthetic practitioner involves working autonomously, making clinical decisions based on
comprehensive consultations and carrying out physical assessments of patients. However, owing to the lack of regulations and standards for education in medical aesthetics, many nurses may feel isolated and inadequately prepared when entering the field.”

Fundamental aspects of advanced nursing practice in the field of medical aesthetics

Voluntary membership organisations like British Association of Cosmetic Nursing (BACN) can be a valuable source of professional support. Reputable training academies may also offer professional guidance after you graduate – enquire before booking.

Accredited botox training london liverpool


6. Ethical challenges

There are a range of psychological drivers that motivate cosmetic procedure requests – some less healthy than others. Mental health problems like Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD) can be difficult to spot and manage appropriately.

Psychological assessment tools and referral options should be covered by your training. Choose a course that focuses on psychological welfare, and enables you to identify suitable emotional support and referral options as part of the consent process.


Further resources:

Read more about our Cosmetic Training for Nurses or our guide to nurse prescribing courses.

Comments (115)

  1. Belinda Jackson 4 years ago

    Hello I’m a hairdresser and I’m thinking off doing a Botox course -would I beable to do this or do you need to have a nurse qualification ? Thank you belinda

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Belinda,
      Thanks for your comment. We get this question a lot. Health Education England have led the way for a more tightly regulated aesthetics industry by recommending certain educational standards (namely a level 7 qualification) in Botox. If you are truly interested in pursuing aesthetics as a career, then we recommend starting your nursing degree now. When you graduate you will be able to become a fully-qualified aesthetic nurse who can treat patients to a high standard and manage complications.

      Please refer to our blog post on the HEE guidelines for further information: http://www.harleyacademy.com/2016-hee-guidelines-need-to-know/

      If you find a course that will take you for Botox training without having a medical/nursing degree, then please be aware that you will:
      (a) need a doctor or nurse prescriber to consult with your patients, and prescribe them the Botox that you will be injecting, and
      (b) your training may not be recognised when future regulations on who can train come into force, as you will need to comply with HEE guidelines.

      Let us know if you decide to complete a nursing degree!

    • Lily 9 months ago

      Can a pediatric nurse with a v300 qualification train in Botox?

      • Shanelle Best 9 months ago

        Hello Lily, thank you for your comment. They definitely can, please give us a call on 0203 859 7598 to speak to one of our course consultants

  2. Raj 4 years ago

    Hi, I was thinking the same as Belinda but am aware I would need to do a nursing degree.

    Can you recommend a degree?
    I wanted to do something in the shortest time as I wanted to start my botox and lip enhancement course asap.

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Raj,

      There isn’t really a quick route into nursing these days, other than a three year UG degree. However shortened nursing pre-registration courses are also available to people with related degrees or experience.

      There are myriad variables involved in choosing your ideal undergraduate course, so just find one that you like the vibe of. If you are going for shortened pre-reg, you will need to contact each university that you are considering to check if your degree subject is acceptable for entry.

      You might also find this page on entering healthcare useful: https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/i-am/considering-or-university

  3. Aimee 4 years ago

    Hello I am a registered childrens nurse qualified for 12 years so lots of.NHS experience courses are.being offered.near me but am I unable.to practice as I am only paeds qualified?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Aimee,

      Thanks for your comment. Do you have an undergraduate degree in nursing, or a NMC registration number? If so, you are eligible for training in aesthetics.

      Please keep in mind that regulations in this field are changing, and if you do only a short 1-2 day course then this training may no longer be recognised past 2018.

      Call us on 0203 859 7598 if you have any more questions! We are always happy to discuss careers etc.

      • Alexsandra Bjarnadóttir 10 months ago

        if you didn’t Finnish what you were learning in college and you want to study to be able to perform BOTOX or fillers on people where do I go to study that ?

        • Shanelle Best 9 months ago

          At Harley Academy we only train doctors, dentists and nurses.

  4. Judith 4 years ago

    Hi I have a Bsc honours degree in midwifery am I eligible to do the course and become a Asthetics nurse. Over 28 years experience!

  5. Rachel Baynes 4 years ago

    Hi. I’m will qualify with my nursing degree in April. How do I go about becoming an aesthetics nurse ? What training is available to me ? thanks 🙂

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Rachel,

      For a comprehensive guide to your training options in aesthetics, take a look at this article: http://www.harleyacademy.com/botox-fillers-training-short-courses-vs-postgraduate-qualifications/

      Essentially, you have two options:
      1. You can start with a qualification in Aesthetic Medicine, such as the Level 7 in Injectables (Botox and Fillers): http://www.harleyacademy.com/training-courses/level-7-accredited-courses/

      This will provide you with an advantage over other new aesthetic nurses, who will only have a one or two day course certificate as evidence of training.

      2. Or, if you are not sure whether aesthetics is for you, then take a foundation training course: http://www.harleyacademy.com/training-courses/foundation-days/, which allows you to legally start injecting patients independently, but will soon become out of date as insurance companies stop providing insurance (legally required to practice) to those without a Level 7 certificate. So in the long term, a Level 7 is a necessary investment. If you take your foundation training day with us, then you will receive a heavy discount on your Level 7, if you decide to upgrade in the future.

      Don’t hesitate to get in touch (0203 859 7598) if you’d like to discuss your career options further 🙂


    • Yaz 3 months ago

      If I finish my degree as a paediatric nurse, would I be able to train in aesthetics afterwards and administer fillers and botox using my children’s nursing degree??

      • Shanelle Best 3 months ago

        Hello Yaz, thank you for your comment. In order to train with Harley Academy you must have a valid NMC number.

  6. Hanna 4 years ago

    Hi there,

    I am a registered adult nurse with a NMC pin number with 2 years NHS experience interested in pursuing a career in aesthetic nursing. However I have had no experience in this field and am aware that the prescribing course is a big financial commitment to make. What would you recommend my first steps to take are? Is it best to apply for a cosmetic or aesthetic clinic nursing jobs which do not require the nurse prescriber course to gain some experience first? Or are these roles very limiting?

    Please kindly advise.

    Many thanks,


    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Hanna,

      This is also a common query. As a nurse without independent prescribing rights your options are as follows:
      1. You can perform dermal filler treatments (the second most popular cosmetic procedure) independently with no problem. Some nurses even specialise in e.g. lip augmentation, and find enough business in this alone to support themselves.
      2. You can also perform Botox procedures. However, you will need to have a doctor who prescribes the botulinum toxins to each patient and consults them individually, face-to-face. There are doctors who do this professionally. This can take place in e.g. the morning of a treatment day, with 5 patients being consulted in a row for a fee per patient, with the procedures later in the day. This is also a popular option, and shouldn’t be ignored.

      However, if you are looking to move into Aesthetics in the long term, then you will find it easier – and your skills in greater demand by clinics – if you can prescribe Botox independently.

      At this stage it might be worth starting a side career in aesthetics, and just performing dermal filler treatments around your ordinary working hours. This will do several things:
      (a) increase your needle skills
      (b) enhance your knowledge of facial anatomy
      (c) allow you to see whether aesthetic medicine is really for you, in the long term
      (d) build up a client-base of loyal customers
      (e) help you raise funds to pay for the V300 prescribing course, as well as other advanced training courses that can enhance your prospects.

      Don’t hesitate to get in touch (0203 859 7598) if you’d like to discuss your career options further. Above all, make sure that you invest in high-quality training!

  7. Shanice 4 years ago

    How long is the training for the level 7 qualification? I have been qualified as a nurse for 7 months and currently work in a surgical itu, what experience do I need to pursue a career in cosmetic nursing? Thanks

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Shanice,

      Our level 7 course is part-time, distance learning. This means that you can complete it in your own time. We estimate between 6 months and 3 years, depending on how much of your time you can dedicate to it. You are perfectly qualified to start today — call 0203 859 7598 if you have any further questions!

  8. Kerry adderson 4 years ago

    Hi I already have an aesthetics business as an ex phlebotomist I did a Botox and filler course 7 years ago, I have an INP, I am starting a nursing degree in September but still injecting, will I be able to do the prescribers course as soon as I finish my degree and have a PIN number?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Kerry,

      You need 3 years experience as a nurse before you can get on the V300 prescribing course.

      You also need 1 year experience in the area you want to be able to prescribe in. However, if you can work with an independent Nurse Prescriber then you will be able to work in aesthetics in the interim, provided you have adequate insurance, and your prescriber holds face to face consultations with your patients.

      Please come back to us once you have graduated for a full qualification in Injectables!

  9. Helen 4 years ago

    Hi, I qualified as an adult nurse 5 years ago with a diploma. I’ve since completed a couple of level 6 modules and I am due to start the v300 course in September next year. I am interested in starting a career in aesthetics but am concerned that I will not be able to complete the level 7 course without full degree credits. Please can you offer me some advice around this issue? Many thanks.

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Helen,

      Do not worry. In light of your professional experience and the evidence that you can study to a level 6 standard, you are likely to be eligible to enrol on our level 7. Please call us on 0203 859 7598 to discuss in more detail!

      • Jake 5 months ago


        Are Registered Nursing Associates allowed to do a botox course due to the fact they are NMC registered and qualified to administer medicines?

        • Shanelle Best 4 months ago

          Hello, thank you for your comment, if you have an NMC you can train with us

  10. Dawn 4 years ago

    Hi i am fully qualified psychiatric nurse and have been working full time for two years now. However I am very interested in pursuing a career in cosmetic nursing. Although I don’t know where to begin or what I would need to do. Any advice would be very appreciated 🙂

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 4 years ago

      Hi Dawn,

      Great to hear that you’re doing your research into the aesthetics field before getting started. In order to qualify you first need to do a foundation training course. The latest Health Education England and the General Medical Council recommendations are that medical professionals such as yourself pursue a Level 7 (postgraduate) qualification in Botox and Dermal Fillers to qualify properly for independent practice. This is why we offer the Level 7 certificate in Injectables (botox and fillers). This Level 7 course includes the Foundation training, too. Read more about this here: http://www.harleyacademy.com/training-courses/level-7-accredited-courses/

      Don’t hesitate to call us on 0203 859 7598 to discuss further! We are always happy to help 🙂

  11. Charlotte 4 years ago

    Hi Beth,

    I am an operating department practitioner with 2years post qualifying experience (in anaesthetics and recovery).
    Would I be allowed to train as an aesthetic practitioner?

    Also would I be allowed to do the V300?

    I’m not sure because my course was a DipHE rather than the full degree as is mandatory now as of 2016!

    Many thanks

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Charlotte,

      We are not yet able to train ODPs to level 7. There are weekend course that do so, but we cannot recommend them as they do not adhere to the latest HEE guidelines. You might want to enquire with a university provider about their requirements for the V300, to get the most accurate information on that.

      Good luck!

  12. Patricia 4 years ago

    Hi Beth,
    My daughter is a hairdresser and beautician, She has asked me to join/expand her business by offering botox etc.
    I am an RGN, Registered (with PIN No) with NMC 25yrs +. I have over 15 yrs acute medicine experience within the NHS as a Ward Manager.
    Currently i am the registered manager of a large EMI Care home. Where do I stand, and more importantly.. where do i begin? Guidance gratefully recieved. Thankyou.

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Patricia,

      If you would like to offer cosmetic procedures, you are very eligible to train and deliver the procedures. Do you have a V300? If not, then you will still require an on-hand prescriber in order to offer botulinum toxins such as Botox in your business. If you do have a V300, then do keep in mind that you and only you can consult the patients for whom the medicine is intended.

      It might actually be in your daughter’s long term interests to train as a nurse herself. She then has NHS, private and cosmetic options long into the future. In the interim, why not start with a Foundation Day? This will introduce you to the field, practical skills, and completion of a Foundation Day will mean that you are eligible to start practising injectables.

      Your extensive clinical experience gives you many advantages in terms of both practical and patient skills, so I would encourage you to train in this field even if is only a sideline income for you. Feel free to contact us on 0203 859 7598 to discuss your plans.

  13. Shannon 4 years ago

    Hi, I’m currently doing my Access to nursing course then going on to uni to do my three year degree in adult nursing/midwifery. Whilst at uni I will be put into a work placement ( a hospital) , once I’ve graduated uni will I then be able to go on to do the Level 7 Botox/dermal filler course? Also I’m aware I will need a v300 to prescribe Botox independently , will my experience at my work placement and a year working along side a prescriber whilst I perform Botox be enough to qualify to do my V300? Thanks

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Shannon,

      Thanks for your questions. Once you have graduated university, you will indeed be able to take any level 7 (postgraduate) course that you are qualified for, including ours.

      You will be expected to have three years of experience in nursing before you can start your V300, and this should include 1 year in the area that you’re looking to prescribe in.

      However, in the interim you should be able to find a willing doctor or nurse prescriber who can consult and prescribe your Botox patients. These may be colleagues, friends, or third party clinicians who charge a fee. Other nurses who can not yet prescribe specialise in dermal fillers, some even focus only on lip augmentation. There are many options!

  14. Andreea 4 years ago


    I am a qualified mental health nurse and I have also obtained the V300 Prescribers Certificate and I would like to pursue a career in aesthetic nursing however I am not sure on what additional qualification or training I will need in order to find a job. I haven’t got any experience as an aesthetic nurse and I was wondering will the relevant training and qualifications alone be sufficient in order to get a job as a aesthetic nurse?

    Thank you

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Andrea,

      As with any competitive field, finding a job takes a combination of repeated effort, talking to people working in the field, experience, and investing in advanced training. Aesthetics is no different. The Level 7 qualification is designed to give you both the advanced training and, through our mentoring days, the experience in a real clinic. With these advantages, it will be easier to then open conversations with clinics, and existing practitioners at conferences etc, if your aim is to be employed.

      One key point for you though is that as a nurse prescriber you are in a highly advantageous situation. Adverts for trained, nurse prescribers are common on aesthetics jobs boards. Moreover, you could easily set up independent practice, and with minimal local advertising costs grow your own client base. This is yet another area in which expert training will ensure that your skill spreads through word of mouth. I highly recommend that you consider starting the Level 7 today. Feel free to call us if you have any further enquiries: 0203 859 7598.

  15. Hayley 4 years ago

    Hey, I first qualified as a mental health nurse 8 years ago and I now a specialist community public health nurse with the v100 community prescribing. I’m ready to peruse a career in aesthetics, I’ve found the v300 offered at a university close to me and I’m keen to start he level 7 post grad course and possibly run the 2 alongside each other. I’m wondering if this is possible as I don’t have any experience in aesthetics currently. Can I undertake the v300 without a current position in this area of prescribing?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Hayley,

      The V300 course is intended to allow nurses to benefit the NHS trust that they are working in. Because of this, you are expected to have been working for a year or more in the area that you are looking to prescribe in. However, there is nothing to stop you from improving your NHS skills by prescribing in a relevant area there, at the same time as being mentored in prescribing botulinum toxins in your spare time.

      One of the good things about the Level 7 course is that you have up to three years to complete it. This means that you could start today, alongside your V300, and fit it around your NHS position as well, without worrying about deadlines.

  16. Rachel 3 years ago

    Hi – I am due to graduate with a BSc in Psychology later this year – can that be something which goes towards Cosmetic Nursing? Just trying to look at a route in using what I have already…



    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Rachel,

      Psychology will not count, and many cosmetic insurers are moving away from insuring non-clinical graduates (i.e. those without a degree in nursing, medicine, dentistry, or pharmacy.)

      As a psychology graduate you might be interested in working in a clinic as a cosmetic psychologist. Equally, you might be interested in switching to nursing at your current university (if this is something that they allow) as paying to retrain after graduation is much more expensive. Other options include waiting — to see whether alternative routes for non-clinicians become available, as training evolves in this specialty. All of these routes are quite long time investments, but if you are serious about a long-term career in aesthetic medicine then investing time into your training is the only option.

      If I were you I would approach clinics and see whether you can shadow an aesthetic nurse or doctor there. It is worth finding out whether this is the kind of career that suits you in practice, and not just in theory. Good luck!

  17. Whitly 3 years ago

    Hi there, I’m currently doing my nursing degree,having worked within the hospital as a HCA for 5 years prior I’m 100% sure aesthetics is the route I want to take. Upon completion of my degree where do I start? I can’t do v300 until I’ve been registered X amount of years so what would I do in the meantime? How can I gain experience would this be clinics of friends & family? Would a clinic take you on with the v300? So many questions! I’m hoping to run my own aesthetics clinic in the future but need to grasp the foundations first. Thank you

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Whitly,

      To respond to each question in turn:
      1. Where do you start?
      Start with a Foundation Day, which is included in the Level 7 qualification that we offer.

      2. Don’t worry about the V300. It is not required to practise aesthetic medicine. (a) You can still perform all dermal filler injectable treatments without a prescription – this includes lips, cheeks, chin, non-surgical rhinoplasty. These are the second most highly-requested procedures. (b) You can still perform Botox injections, provided you work with a doctor or prescriber who can consult your patients.

      3. You can gain experience during our Level 7 qualification during our mentoring programme. This will make you valuable to clinics as you will have over 40 hours of practical experience!

      4. The V300 is an NHS initiative, so you would have to be working for the NHS as well.

      Hope this helps! Let us know when you complete your degree 🙂

  18. Ellie 3 years ago

    Hello, I qualified as a adult Nurse a year ago and I’m very interested in cosmetic nursing. However, I have no experience. From doing a little research, I am aware that in the near future the HEE requires you to have a level 7 qualification in order to practise. So what would you recommend that I do first? Would you suggest the foundation course or to jump straight in and go ahead with the Level 7 qualification even if I have had no previous experience. I’m just a bit unsure of what to do. Also, what would happen if I haven’t completed the level 7 qualification within the time that the new HEE regulations come into place? Sorry for all the questions! ?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Ellie,

      The Foundation Training Day is actually included in the Level 7 qualification, so you will start with Foundation Training either way!

      The level 7 will give you the experience that you need via mentoring.

      Insurance companies are likely to stop insuring practitioners without level 7 training by 2018, but if you start today then you will have plenty of time to finish the course.

  19. Sara Smith 3 years ago

    I am an experienced RGN and qualified District Nurse with BSc. I have 20 years nursing experience, working within a variety of settings within the NHS. I have just completed my V300 independent prescribing course. I am interested in setting up a business delivering aesthetic treatments. Furthermore, I would be interested in undertaking face to face consultations prescribing Botox for others (I believe this may be quite lucrative?). I currently have no experience or training qualification in aesthetics. Where do I start? I need training, support/ supervision/experience? Many Thanks Sara

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Sara,

      You are very well-placed to succeed in aesthetics if you get the right training. I would recommend that you start the Level 7 certificate in aesthetic medicine, as this will give you proficiency in both of the most popular procedures (Botox and dermal fillers), as well as nationally recognised qualification at the end.

      You can also start with a Foundation Day, and then choose to upgrade to the Level 7 certificate later, when you are ready to commit. Please be aware that the Department of Health recommend that all aesthetics practitioners hoping to inject complete training at level 7 or at a university by 2018 – so get ahead of these changes!

  20. Jessica Meta 3 years ago


    When you qualify with a degree in nursing, can you also train on laser hair removal for example ?

    Or is the level 7 course strictly for botox?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Jessica,

      Yes you can train in lasers. The Level 7 is for injectables – Botox and fillers – and there are qualifications at other levels for other procedures. Make sure that you thoroughly research laser training, as it is vital to their safety that you understand what you’re dealing with.

  21. Panyau 3 years ago

    How much do non medical prescribers charge per consultation?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Panyau,

      Can I ask what you mean by non-medical prescribers?

  22. Louise 3 years ago

    Hi Beth,
    I have a degree in child nursing but am looking to start my own private business with my father, who is a doctor (he has completed training in aesthetics). My question is, could I do the V300 under this private practise? It wouldn’t be possible for me to complete it in my work place and I’m hoping for greater independence as my father also runs his own clinic in Devon (I would be London based).


    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Lou,

      You will have to enquire with the V300-awarding university about their Designated Medical Practitioner (DMP) requirements. Please also be aware that you will have to apply to universities as a private (non-NHS) nurse. Good luck!

  23. Jasdeep 3 years ago

    Hi, i have set up my own beauty clinic from home (separate entrance and not in the house), where i do facial peels, resurfacers, dermabrsaion etc. I am looking to collaborate with a GP who has trained in botox and derma fllers, and offer one day in my clinic, where i would look after the diary and bring in clients etc. What kind of pricing do you suggest i charge the GP and do i need any insurance other than my beauty insurance that i have and do i need to inform my council?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Jasdeep,

      Regarding pricing, my advice is simply to look up similar clinics in your location and benchmark from there. More importantly, regarding insurance you should contact your cosmetic insurer and ask them all of your questions about getting full medical insurance for these procedures. It is also best that you ask your local council whether to or how to register your clinic, as it may constitute change of use from beauty to clinical/medical. Please ensure that you are well-informed from all of the relevant authorities before proceeding, and never let anyone prescribe Botulinum Toxins remotely.

  24. tanya 3 years ago

    Hi I am a band 7 nurse with 10 years experience. I am NMC registered. I have just passed the prescribing V300 with 100%. Am currently on maternity leave until June 2017 and am really Interested in aesthetics, botox fillers etc. Now is the perfect time to start as have free time. What’s the Best way to get started?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Aesthetics sounds perfect for you. We recommend you start with the level 7 course, or a foundation training day if you are unsure. Don’t hesitate to call 0203 859 7598 to discuss your journey in more detail, or just book a convenient date here!

  25. Cathryn Manser 3 years ago

    I am currently a qualified beauty therapist however my dream job would be an aesthetics nurse. How can i go about this. Would i need to do my nursing degree is this the only route? Once i have done my degree can i then go on to do a fillers course? If so do i need a prescriber for fillers? I would like to do my prescribers course but i am aware i need to wait 3 years after qualifing. I dont quite know where to start or what step to take first. Please can you advise me?
    If i do my nursing degree can i do my level 7 stright away after compleating my degree? Also is there funding for your level 7?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Cathryn,

      We recommend that you either take a full nursing degree and then start the level 7 in injectables, or stick to other aesthetic treatments such as chemical skin peels which do not require a nursing degree.
      As for the V300, you would be able to inject dermal fillers without it, which is the second most widely requested aesthetic treatment and could help refine your injecting technique and fund your V300 if you self-fund it.

      Again, if you’re serious about a medical aesthetics career, a nursing degree would be the best route!

  26. Ruta Davies 3 years ago

    Hi Beth,

    I am qualified dental nurse.
    Would I be able to the course?

    Ruta Davies

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Ruta,

      The level 7 in injectables is available only for nurses registered with the NMC owing to restrictions imposed on us by our regulators and insurers. However, please email enquiries@harleyacademy.com to register interest in our forthcoming qualifications that are aimed at prospective aesthetics practitioners from all backgrounds.

  27. Julie 3 years ago

    Hi, I am a registered nurse interested in a career in aesthetics. I am not required to prescribe in my current role and am therefore considering self funding the V300. I have read that I would need to be practicing within the area I intended to prescribe before starting the course and am a bit confused as to which route to take. I would also be self funding the foundation course and I am aware of the level 7 recommendations.

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      The v300 will optimise your aesthetics practice, but is not a necessary pre-requisite.
      You can procure and administer dermal fillers, the 2nd most requested cosmetic procedure, independently.
      You can administer botulinum toxins independently provided you work with a doctor who can consult and prescribe for your patients, for small fee.
      After a year of practise in aesthetics you are eligible for the V300, which will circumvent the need for an outsourced prescriber.

      I know this can be confusing, so please call 0203 859 7598 if you would like a member of our team to run you through your options.

  28. Faatima 3 years ago

    Hi Beth,
    I’m due to finish my nursing training in August 2017 and I would like to do the level 7 Training course right after I qualify. I understand that I will need to work 3 years post qualifying in order to undertake the v300 prescribing course. Where do you advice me to start working? I was thinking of doing a staff nurse rotation within the NHS whilst studying for my level 7, the rotation takes 18 months and will prepare me with essential skills to kick start my nursing career, however after 18 months I want to work atleast 1 year in the aesthetic field in order to be able to prescribe Botox. Would this mean I would have to leave the nhs and work privately full time? Can I work in Harley street for instance? Your advice would be much appreciated,

    Kindest regards

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Faatime,
      You’re very eligible for our injectables course (foundation day and level 7) whilst you also work in the NHS. However, you will not be able to prescribe botox until you have completed a V300 nurse prescribers course, which will likely have to be self-funded unless your NHS trust are willing to sponsor you.

      The v300 will make your aesthetics practice marginally easier, but is not a necessary pre-requisite.

      As a non-prescriber, you will still be able to procure and administer dermal fillers, the 2nd most requested cosmetic procedure, independently – this you can do as soon as you complete the course, which may help fund the V300, for example.

      You can also administer botulinum toxins independently, provided you work with a doctor who can consult and prescribe for your patients. Many will do this for small fee.

      After a year of practise in aesthetics you are eligible for the V300. This will allow you to prescribe botulinum toxins, which will circumvent the need for an outsourced prescriber. I recommend you call and talk to some universities who offer the V300 to check your eligibility, and fees, etc.

      I know this can be confusing, so please call 0203 859 7598 if you would like a member of our team to run you through your options, and prices for each element of the courses that we offer.

  29. Áine 3 years ago

    I have trained in Ireland, level 8 degree, 6 years ago, I am currently completely my level 9 wound management and tissue viability post grad diploma, I work in the acute sector-in a major burns unit, I have an avid interest in aesthetics, an underdeveloped area of education in Ireland as yet. Is your qualification valid for practise in Ireland?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      In Ireland I believe that the levels framework for qualifications is slightly different, and level 9 is equivalent to a level 7 here.

      As for validity, since many governments do not currently impose legal requirements for training, there is no such thing as a ‘valid’ or ‘invalid’ qualification. That said, having a UK qualification that is regulated by UK government does have value – in the UK, in Ireland, and of course in many other countries.

  30. Sarah 3 years ago


    Do you accept physician associates with a nursing background?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Sarah,

      That would depend: what kind of nursing background do you mean? Do you have an undergraduate degree or diploma in nursing?

  31. gemma 3 years ago

    Hi I’m a registered midwife but left my role as a midwife last year. I know I can do the course as I have my PIN however I am wanting to become a prescriber in future. What I guess I’m wanting to know is if I did the prescriber course will I need to keep up my PIN registration and go back to working as a midwife in the future?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      You’d need to keep up your PIN registration to practice aesthetics, but you could do that with aesthetics CPD. You shouldn’t have to stay a midwife if you do the V300, but you will not get NHS support if you only intend to do private practice. Enquire about this in more detail with the universities that you are considering and they will have much more detailed advice!

  32. Rachael 3 years ago

    Hi Beth,

    I am a registered adult nurse working in A&E and prison primary care.

    I am shortly undertaking my foundation course in botox and dermal fillers with a view to eventually completing the level 7 course that you offer. I am in the process of trying to understand and arrange how I would operate my business when I have completed my training. I will then aim to complete the V300.

    I was wondering what the guidance and policy was around location of treatments i.e is it safe to administer botox in a client’s home with appropriate insurance and prescriber consultation? I am looking to rent a therapy/clinical room but obviously that may take time to arrange. I want to practice as safely as possible.

    Thank you.

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Best practice is to inject in a room with a wipeable floor, wipeable surfaces, sharps bin for safe needle disposal, and ideally a medical couch that is adjustable for quick resuscitation from fainting (which is surprisingly common). Hence a clinical environment is obviously best-suited to safe practice!

      Depending on where you are there are quite a few clinical spaces that are keen to rent out their fully-kitten rooms on an affordable time-share basis, even on Harley Street (hence why so many people seem to have clinics there).

      Good luck! And please call us if you’d like to discuss any of this – 0203 859 7598. We are always here to support our students’ safe practice.

  33. Danielle 3 years ago

    Hi, I am a newly qualified nurse since September 2016 and work in an acute medical ward. I am interested in starting a career in Aesthetics on the side but have no idea where to begin! I don’t think I will ever do my V300 course and am aware I will need to pay a fee to a dr to prescribe my Botox, wil I be pointed in the direction of some people after completion of a course? And I see you are saying this level 7 course will need to be completed after 2018 to become an aesthetics practitioner,will this be mandatory? Also, would I be able to carry out this line of work in clients homes/my own home? How willl I know where to begin, do you get business advice once completed the course? Thanks!

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Danielle,

      The new guidelines are helping to create a new, higher standard of practitioner. This will likely lead to a two-tiered system, of those who have achieved a level 7 in Injectables, and those who have completed very rudimentary training. The proficiency of the former will likely secure their place at the top of a highly competitive industry. Those who do not achieve the higher, level 7 standard may still be able to practice (unless legal restrictions do come into place) but they will profit only from public ignorance about the higher expected standard, and that may not last long past the suggested deadline of 2018. This field is dynamic and shifting so we recommend that you try to keep ahead of the curve, and keep reading about new guidelines and training opportunities!

      Our course takes between 6 months and 3 years, depending on your level of experience (if any) and how much time you can commit to it. This is still shorter, and more adaptable, than a master’s degree at a university (not to mention cheaper!)

      As a non-prescriber you can deliver dermal fillers independently, without a prescriber. Many non-prescriber nurses are amazing specialists in e.g. lip fillers.

      For BTs, we can point you toward good value prescribers, but also recommend that you go to conferences and events, and network. If you join Harley Academy we offer events throughout the year where you meet others students. These might be prescribers from your area, or other non-prescriber aestheticians who might be able to advise you!

  34. Amber 3 years ago


    I am an ODP with 8 years in practice I do scrub, anaesthetics and recovery. I also carry cardiac arrest bleep and trauma bleeps and attend emergencies….am I eligible, or what further course do I need to do in order to do the Botox and fillers course

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 3 years ago

      Hi Amber,

      Unfortunately, Harley Academy cannot accept ODPs onto the Level 7 course, owing to the high level of prior medical knowledge assumed. We highly recommend a medical or nursing degree if you intend to start your career in aesthetics. Good luck!

  35. ed 3 years ago

    Hi, Just looking in to this as a non medical.

    Seems the only route to go now is
    Nursing Degree 3 years
    3 years experience as a nurse to then do V300 prescribes then do botox course here.
    So 6 and a half years in total is that right?

    Is that correct?

    Kind Regards

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 1 year ago

      Hi Ed,
      Almost… route for non-medical would be:
      1. Nursing/medical degree (3+ years)
      2. Foundation Day
      3. Start Level 7 & Practise with a qualified prescriber for 3 years
      4. Then do a V300 nurse prescribing course

  36. Marcia Ali 3 years ago

    i have been a registered nurse for 3 years and a half i have an advanced diploma to nursing. i am thinking to change my career and try Aesthetics but i dont really know from where to start. what is your opinion and how much would it cost to do the course. should i work independently or should i start as an employee?

    thank you

  37. Beaux Saunter 2 years ago

    Hi I am a fully qualified dental nurse looking to get into Botox & fillers… is this something I can do?

  38. Sarah Griffiths 2 years ago

    How can a dental hygienist go about it administering Botox and fillers independent of a dentists prescription?

  39. Amanda Bostwick 2 years ago

    I am a registered nurse and an independent prescriber , what would be the easiest way to get into this field either using my prescribing qualification to aid others or to learn how to administer Botox myself ?

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 2 years ago

      Hi Amanda,

      Great question. The best way to ensure that you are practicing within your competency is to take formal training in Botox. Then, it is up to you whether you decide to work as a cosmetic prescriber, administer the toxin yourself, or indeed a combination of the two.

      The crucial thing to remember is that all prescribig must be done face to face. So, if you work as a prescriber for other practitioners then you must still consult every patient face to face to ensure they are suitable, and you are responsible for the treatment. Ideally you will also provide oversight by being physically available to deal with any emergency complications that may occur.

      As an independent prescriber you are very well-placed to succeed in aesthetics yourself, so why not try a foundation day and see how you like it. Feel free to call us with any further questions — 0203 859 7598.

  40. Jessica 2 years ago

    Hi, I am a registered nurse with the nmc . I have been qualified for a year, 6month’s in a&e , 6month’s medical ward. Please could you advise me as to whether or not I need more experience. I am very keen but not sure which is the best route. Thanks

  41. Katy Baines 2 years ago

    Hi Beth I’m a registered nurse with 2.5 years experience. What’s the most flexible way to gain the skills to become a anesthetic nurse? I will need to work during the course. Are there any different ways to pay the cert7 course as I’m not in a financial position to pay in full.
    Please would you be able to provide information on how to get started

    Many thanks

    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 2 years ago

      Hi Katy,

      The level 7 course is a fully flexible programme – you have up to three years to complete it, and you can pick and choose mentoring and assessment days throughout the year so that they fit in around your schedule.

      In terms of payment plans, we have a 9 month payment plan with an upfront cost of £2,352 (including VAT), followed by monthly payments of £756 (including VAT) per month for eight months. Would that work for you?

  42. Katy Baines 2 years ago

    I will be honest financially it doesn’t at this moment. Nursing doesn’t pay well so would take some time to save that kind of money. Thank you anyway x

  43. Hud Alex Dalla Vecchia 2 years ago

    Hi There

    Dental Nurses are eligible to do this Level 7?

  44. Alina 2 years ago

    Hi, I am a qualified dental nurse, I am I allowed to carry out dermal fillers and botox after I completed your course? My husband is a dentis, can he be my prescriber and can we work together ?
    Thank you

    • Elizabeth Dex 1 year ago

      Hi Alina,

      Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately the latest medical guidelines allow us to only accept registered doctors, dentists and nurses onto our Injectables courses. However, as a dental nurse you would be eligible to join our aesthetics community on one of our fantastic Skin Rejuvenation courses, which are aimed specifically at beauty/clinical professionals who are looking for a route into aesthetic medicine. Your husband would be eligible for the courses.

      Don’t hesitate to call us on 0203 859 7598 if you have any questions about this.

  45. Rachel 2 years ago

    Hi There,
    I will qualify in Midwifery September 2018. I am looking to go down the aesthetics route. Am I able to do this course? Also, can midwives become independent prescribers as I am unsure if it is only registered nurses that can become prescribers in aesthetics.


    • Author
      Beth L. Swingler 1 year ago

      Hi Rachel,

      Yes you’ll be able to take this course, as a midwife registered with the NMC. You’ll only be able to achieve your V300 after having been a registered nurse for at least three years, though, so that will have to come later down the line. To double check whether you’re eligible as a midwife, I’d recommend calling a few universities who offer the V300 and asking, as individual course entry requirements do vary. Subscribe to our newsletter using the form below to get updates as we’re releasing some new content about how to become an aesthetic nurse prescriber soon.

  46. Sophie 1 year ago

    Hi, as a nurse prescriber is the 1 day course enough to begin practicing and prescribing before deciding whether to commit to the level 7 course? Thank you, Sophie

    • Shanelle Best 11 months ago

      Hello Sophie,

      Some of our students do feel confident enough to perform treatments after successfully completing one of our Foundation Day courses, many do go on to level 7 course afterwards. Please give us a call on +44 (0)203 859 7598 or send an email to enquiries@harleyacademy.com for more information, our course consultants would be happy to help.

  47. Tracey 1 year ago

    Hi I’m a Registered General Nurse with 30 years experience , (old training not degree level ) I’ll be studying the v300 non medical prescribing later this year and wish to persue my career in aesthetics . Would this route be acceptable please

    • Shanelle Best 11 months ago

      Hello Tracey,

      Yes this would be fine. Please give us a call on +44 (0)203 859 7598 or send an email to enquiries@harleyacademy.com, our course consultants would be delighted to help you figure out which our of courses is best for you.

  48. Grace 1 year ago

    I am a registered nurse, qualified from university in 2012 with a diploma. Am I able to do your Aesthetic course? I am really interesting in practicing Aesthetics along side my current job with the NHS. Is this possible?

    • Shanelle Best 11 months ago

      Hello Grace,

      thank you for your message, we train doctors, dentists and nurses. We are delighted that you want to start a career in Aesthetics! Please give us a call on +44 (0)203 859 7598 or send an email to enquiries@harleyacademy.com, our course consultants would be happy to help you.

  49. Alexandra 11 months ago

    Hi, I have been in beauty industry for over 10 years and I would like to enter the aesthetic field. What’s the quickest way for me to qualify to do fillers, botox and other facial treatments?

    • Shanelle Best 11 months ago

      Hello, thank you for your comment. Unfortunately we only training doctors, dentists and nurses.

  50. megan B 9 months ago

    im going to be applying for university next year and i have my heart set on childrens nursing, however i would like to do botox on the side as soon as possible after i Graduate, what would be the steps i should take after graduation and at what point should I get the v300 qualification?

    • Shanelle Best 9 months ago

      Hello Megan, thank you for your comment!

      Once you have finished your nursing degree and have an NMC number you’ll be eligible to train with us.

  51. Aimee 8 months ago

    Hi I’m a NHS band 3 HCA can I do a filler course with this medical background?
    I’ve been working as a hca 12 years, I take blood and experienced in catheters

    • Shanelle Best 8 months ago

      Hello Aimee,

      Thank you for your message. To train at Harley Academy you need to be a doctor, dentist or a nurse.

  52. Luciana 5 months ago


    I was wondering can dental nurses do the Botox course?and If yes what are the requirements ?


    • Shanelle Best 4 months ago

      Hello Luciana, we only accept doctors, dentists and nurses onto our botox and dermal filler courses.

  53. Leah 1 month ago

    Hello, I’m a children’s trained nurse of three years but without V300 qualification.
    Am I able to train to be an aesthetic nurse? And where do I start if I can

    • Shanelle Best 4 weeks ago

      Hello Leah,

      Thank you for your message, we train doctors, dentists and nurses. Please give us a call on 0203 859 7598 for more information

  54. Ana Martinez 1 month ago

    Hi, Im a Nursing graduate, i would like to be Aesthetics Nurse, im already 47 y/o, with business here in tha Philippines, I would like to pursue my dream a Aesthetics Nurse, can i study, Live and work in your country?
    I would like to bring my family during study.
    Please advise, Thank you.

    Ana Martinez

    • Shanelle Best 4 weeks ago

      Hello Ana, thank you for your message. Due to the way our level 7 course is designed, you won’t be eligible for a student visa using our course.

Leave a reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *