Dermal filler training courses
Dermal filler training options
Dermal filler training is changing. Filler courses have traditionally been limited to one-day beginner programmes that leave new practitioners bewildered, under-confident, and taking risks with patients as well as their reputation.
Harley Academy is the first vocational medical school in the UK to create and offer government-regulated qualifications in cosmetic procedures for doctors, dentists, and nurses. The Level 7 course includes the delivery of dermal filler injections but also covers botulinum toxins (“Botox”), dermatology, psychology, and principles of aesthetic medical practice more broadly.
We also offer the traditional shorter, one-day courses suitable for beginners and advanced practitioners — with an evidence-based twist. All of our courses are designed to give you a strong foundation of peer-reviewed medical knowledge and not just limited practical experience. Our core values of safety and integrity underpin all of our courses:
- Foundation Training Days
The one day course for beginners that legally certifies you to practice in both dermal fillers and botulinum toxins.
- Level 7 Course
After your foundation day, you can continue your training to meet the new government-recommended standards.
- Advanced Workshops
Want to learn lip fillers or master cannulae? Learn new techniques or refine existing skills. These procedure-specific days are for practitioners who have already completed some training.
Why do people take dermal filler courses?
Botulinum toxins and dermal fillers are increasingly popular in the UK, and many poorly qualified practitioners are benefiting financially from this. There is, of course, a huge financial draw towards offering private cosmetic procedures. However, if you’re a medical professional committed to training properly in cosmetic procedures can not only earn more but also to ensure that the industry becomes safe, and clinically rigorous whilst doing so.
In private cosmetic practice, there are no rotas. You can fit it in around your shifts, or take days off to commit to it as a 9-5. Crucially, it’s up to you.
Many medics and clinicians feel frustrated by the procedural nature of their jobs. Aesthetics is as much of an art as a science, and gives you the chance to use your creativity.
As someone’s private clinician performing filler injections, you can dedicate as much time as you like to their holistic care. Once you see the difference that can make to their happiness, you won’t want to give it up.
Because aesthetic procedures are elective they often get a bad rap. However, even though they are not clinically necessary this doesn’t mean that they do not give people confidence, happiness and improved quality of life. Come on a mentoring day in one of our clinics and you’ll know what we mean!
Why do a filler course at Harley Academy?
More than just a good reputation
Our priority is the success of our students. That’s why we keep creating opportunities for them to learn, and to network. This way they can keep improving themselves — and the wider aesthetics specialty.
Aesthetics is full of marketing ploys, and it can be difficult to find the science beneath it all. Our medics and academics have always wanted more than that, which is why we focus on the evidence-based treatments first and foremost. Only with a solid foundation can you safely progress.
Dermal filler courses with integrity
It’s important that our entire learner community is motivated by our values: leadership, collaboration, and evidence-based practice. Be part of something special.
Level 7 Dermal Filler Training
In 2015, Health Education England released official guidance on cosmetic training. Since then, there’s been increasing pressure for dermal filler training providers to offer the new higher level 7 qualification instead of short one-day courses.
In support of these guidelines, we collaborated with Industry Qualifications (Ofqual regulated awarding body) to create a recognised course that would allow you to meet these requirements.
As the pioneers of the UK’s first government-regulated level 7 qualification, we are proud to support this movement. The majority of training centres in aesthetic medicine have now started to license out the Level 7 that we created, indicating the right change is already happening.
The training requirements for delivery of botulinum toxin procedures now include:
- A regulated postgraduate level 7 qualification
- Observing and treating 20 patients with dermal fillers during clinical mentoring
Level 7 Course Structure
STEP 1: Botox® and dermal fillers Foundation Training Day
Learn both of the most popular procedures in one day. As a standalone course this certificate will allow you to start administering Botox® and dermal fillers privately, in clinics and medispas. If you choose further training you start with Step 2.
Foundation Training will enable you to:
- Understand the age-related mechanisms of collagen
- Undertake a thorough assessment of your patient
- Appreciate the types of dermal fillers available
- Understand relevant facial anatomy, with an emphasis on vascular anatomy of the face
- Keep suitable medical records
- Demonstrate various injection techniques
- Discuss the indications for dermal fillers
- Discuss the contraindications for dermal fillers
- Discuss the complications of Dermal Fillers and appropriate management
- Areas of clinical practice will include:
– Nasolabial Folds
– Lip Augmentation
– Peri-oral Lines
– Oral Commissures
– Discussion of advanced treatments e.g. tear trough fillers
STEP 2: Online learning
Our e-learning has been created by OCB Media, the largest online learning supplier to the NHS.
Online learning features
- 50-100 hours of university-standard material.
- Core modules covering the latest medical knowledge in Botulinum Toxin, dermal fillers, skin ageing, dermatology and facial aesthetics.
- Complementary modules on health and safety, law, policy and ethics.
- Includes videos, interactive diagrams, and interim assessments.
- Monitors your learning so you can continuously track your progress, and pick up where you left off.
- Impartially compares products and brands.
- Indications and contraindications.
- CPD accredited (142 hours).
STEP 3: Clinical Mentoring
Our level 7 students shadow and practice dermal filler injections as well as botulinum toxin treatments in our clinic chain, Harley Academy Clinics. Designed specifically for training, these clinical sessions are all about your learning experience.
- Real patient consultations
- Devising treatment plans
- Injecting patients, often multiple sites per patient, in a way tailored to their individual anatomy
- Close supervision of an experienced aesthetic doctor
- Constant feedback during 1:1 mentoring
- A logbook for recording your reflections for future reference
- Experience what working in a cosmetic clinic is actually like
We cover all insurance during your clinical mentoring.
STEP 4: Assessment
To achieve your qualification you need to pass the following assessments:
- A completed logbook of 40 patient treatments
- A series of 34 short essay questions (100 words to a maximum of 600 words)
- A one-day Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE)